Visiting the USA

The following visa information can help facilitate your participation at CHI.

The ACM does not issue formal invitation letters to the CHI conference, but we can provide a Support Letter that you can submit with your visa application.

Visa Support Letters are provided by the registration team once a registration has been confirmed and paid for. You can register at the CHI registration site. Further, if you are the presenting author of an accepted CHI paper, you may request a letter prior to registering. The letter will include the title and authors of your paper.

The Visa Support Letter request form (fillable pdf) can be downloaded from the confirmation page after you have completed registration. You can also directly download the form. Note: a Visa Support Letter cannot be issued until after you have registered for the conference.

For information on visa requirements, please visit the US Department of State Visitor Visa website. Of note is that the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables most citizens or nationals of participating countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa. However, travelers must have a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) approval prior to travel (used to be issuable at the airport, but not anymore, so please plan ahead) and meet several requirements, including a passport valid for at least 6 months. Please leave enough time to make yourself familiar with visa arrangements, especially as many previous rules have changed lately.

Visiting Hawaii

Note also that visitors to Hawaii have some additional restrictions on what they can bring in.  Because Hawaii is geographically isolated, extra caution is taken to protect the ecosystem from invasive species. This means, for example, that you can not bring citrus fruits into the state–no, not even an orange in your carry-on bag.  Read more here: